Thursday, June 12, 2008

vaccines, thermometers up the butt and adequan injections

So yesterday afternoon the whole family went to the vet. Trevor didn't want to put lily in her little carrier box..."Can't I just hold her in my lap?" Sure! Why not? After she clawed the shit out of him (before we even left the driveway) he went inside and got the box. HAHAHA

Dexter needed all of his yearly shots and we did a blood test for heartworm (negative :) ). So Dexter has had an issue for about 2 years where his patella on his right back leg slips out of place. He usually yelps when it happens and it is likely to happen in cold weather or if he goes tearing ass across the yard or down the street for something. I knew that surgery was an option, but it didn't really seem in our Dr.'s opinion to be the best option for Dex. So I was just waiting it out to see if it would get better if he lost a little weight (lil chunky munky weighs 23 lbs!) and got regular long walks. When we went yesterday our Dr. gave us another option for his knee and we are going to start the treatments this fall. He will be gettin "adequan" injections in his leg twice a week for the first month. http://www.adequancanine.us/ Then after the initial treatment, he will likely only need them every 2-4 months on average. Yesterday I spent $200 at the vet and the first month of treatment for that is likely to run about $300-400. I know it is a lot of money but it is totally worth it to me. Both of my pets are pure extracts of sunshine in my life and make me smile and laugh several times a day.

Lily only had to get her feline leukemia vaccine so we can start letting her out as she pleases but she has to go back for a booster in 3-4 weeks before she is totally in the clear. In the mean time I am broke as shit and we still haven't closed on the house :o

No comments: